Monday, August 1, 2011

Who's that baby? Or, Poop DeVille.

Do you remember the titles for the Rocky and Bullwinkle shows?  It always amazed me that I got the sarcasm and innuendo of that show even when I was a pretty little kid.  It wasn't really a kid show, if you know what I mean.  Anyway, let the title of the blog speak for itself today.

Mom has lost more ground in the last 10 days of so.  Not only bowel/bladder control, but she has begun speaking to someone who isn't there, both asking and answering questions, sometimes for hours on end.  I can sit and listen to her soliloquy for long periods, even move around the house, do dishes or fix lunch or scrub the commode, and she is transfixed by whomever it is in front of her.  She talks with the person about the little girl or baby who has appeared in her life and won't go home.  This girl somehow has attached herself to mom, and mom doesn't know how to send her away.  The girl is tied to Ed and to the person who gave her up.  I've been trying to figure out if there might be some thread of truth in this fantasy, but have been unable to connect any dots as yet.

I'm still convinced that mom should be placed, and the sooner the better.  I've told the brothers that I am not going to take any more afternoon shifts, as I can't face the sundowning and the crying jags that accompany it.  I'm happy to take any and all morning shifts, as it's a cakewalk compared to evening.  I'd like to write more about what's happening, but have concerns about what's going on in a legal sense.  Let me just say that what's going on now isn't what I want to happen.  Mommy needs 24/7 care, and I'm going to move ahead as quickly as I can to see that she gets it.

Those of you who are still reading, thanks for that.  I hold you all in the light, and I'm hoping you're holding me there too, but in candlelight please, as not much else would flatter the fatigue I'm showing today.  Be well, maybe I'll post some more tomorrow.

 

3 comments:

  1. Kathy,

    I'm so sorry to hear that your mom is declining so quickly. I know that you will do what is best for her and she is blessed to have you to spend her mornings with. I know that sundown syndrome is so difficult.
    Yes, we are praying for you and feel the warmth of those prayers you say for us as well. We will wait for His answers together. Candlelight IS more restful for the eyes...hope you are getting some rest.
    Hugs and love, my friend.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,

    I'm sorry that things have become even more difficult and I hope that you are all able to agree on placing your mom. As hard as it is to do, it would be in everyone's best interest. I keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and miss having you here in Buffalo. Hang in there!
    All my love ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I am still reading, always. I had trouble accessing my account that is linked to your blog and another that I read.

    You know what's best for your mom, you spend the most time with her. My prayers are with you for an easy transition for her, and for you. The proper care is so important, and will not only remove a heavy burden, but will give you peace of mind.
    Please allow me to say just one thing about your mom "talking to someone who isn't there". Someone might actually be there Kathy; in spirit, helping her along, getting her ready to pass to the other side. Don't discount these episodes as "crazy" or hallucinogenic". She might truly be seeing someone.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete