Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Restraining ourselves

Well, I've been very lax when it comes to staying on top of things, and I apologize. However, now that the holidays are behind us, today seems to be the time to write.
I've been going to see mom as often as I can 3 or 4 or 5 days a week, depending on the weather. Yesterday was one of those days when I opted to stay home and watch 15 inches of snow pile up in my driveway. I got all dressed in layers and went out to shovel around noon on Tuesday, wound up getting my whole face chapped, worked myself up into a wicked sweat, and came back inside to cough and hack all night. Didn't sleep well at all, but will do better tonight with clean sheets and blankets on the bed . . .

So, I went to the care center today, had lunch with mom, and noted pretty much right away that she had something wrong with her right arm/wrist. After some investigation, plus conversations with both the nurse and the physical therapist on duty, we narrowed it to the wrist. Now, I can't say for sure that anything untoward happened, but during my visit today, spoke with several people, and one in particular raised my suspicions. I'm going to keep this close for a day or so, but will probably take a photo or two of the bruises I noted just to have on hand. I can't have anyone losing patience with mommy because she has dementia and is 99 percent deaf . . . now can I? I'm pretty sure my concern translated itself to all the staff members.

Meantime, let me say that winter has been pretty good up until this week when we got our first big snow. Getting her out and into the car is a task in itself when it's cold outside, but snow and ice make it nearly impossible. Tommy and his family still go to see her regularly, and her friend Ed is always on hand a few times a week. We had a lovely Christmas Eve lunch at Tom and Julie's with mom and Ed and family, and here is a picture to prove it.

Stick around friends, I will really try to do better about blogging - it really is cathartic . . .

2 comments:

  1. Kathy,

    I am so sorry to hear about your mom's wrist. I definitely agree with your being watchful. Patients need an advocate - no matter what the situation is, the staff needs to know that nothing will get past you. Nothing.
    Prayers that you will find a blessing in each day - be it big, or one of those special and unexpected little ones. You are ALL in our prayers...and in our hearts.
    Big hugs from across the miles, my friend, and yes, keep blogging. It is cleansing and therapeutic.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, you must keep watch. No one does this better than family. My mom was in the hospital for 16 days a while back with a blood infection. Halfway through her stay, a nurse went to turn mom from one side to the other, by grabbing the middle of her forearm. The nurse ended up twisting and BADLY bruising my moms arm. It was so bruised that her doctor ordered xrays to be sure nothing was broken. The nurse was not allowed near my mom again. We were furious that this happened. You have to be diligent and ever watchful. No one cares for your mom as much as you do, especially no one in those places.

    I hope you will keep blogging. I check back here frequently!

    HUGS to you.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete