Monday, May 3, 2010

Parenting My Parent

I got to thinking on my way back to Buffalo yesterday how this walk down Alzheimer's Avenue is going to be alot like becoming a parent to a small child.  The questions repeated over and over, the imaginary friends (or strangers), the made-up stories, the bathing and grooming chores, the clingy behavior.  And because I made a concious choice many years ago to remain childless, there is some small resentment building in me that "parenting my parent" is going to be a big part of my foreseeable future.

On the flip side, there is a part of me that is beginning to take satisfaction in my ability to learn these new chores.  I'm getting more comfortable curling and combing mom's hair.  Cleaning her house (little by little) and making things better for her - healthwise at least.  Buying groceries.  Helping her choose which clothes to wear.  Holding her hand as we cross the street.

All those things she once did for me.  Funny how the wheel turns.

No comments:

Post a Comment