Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sometimes I feel like an idiot

But in a good way.  Yesterday was such a good day.  I spent it with brother Tom.  We went car shopping together.  I so seldom get to spend a whole day with him, and we had a really good time.  We drove up route 20 through Girard and Fairview, stopped and drove a Suzuki (small, fun, affordable, and the salesman was really cute), went all the way to Peach Street, drove a RAV4, wasn't very impressed, then stopped at the Honda place, drove a CRV, and I really liked it.  Wound up walking away though, because the salesmen weren't willing to bend much. 

Today I went to mom's and got her washed and dressed for her afternoon with her friend.  Then I took off for the laundromat, where I did a couple of loads of laundry.  Read the paper while I was there and spied another CRV in Edinboro that I hope to take a look at this week.  Then I went back to mom's and took advantage of her absence to do her laundry and some cleaning and also cleared out a bunch of drawers in her bedroom.  I swear there were at least 187 pairs of socks in there, most of which had no elastic left in them.  Ran into a couple of stashes of chocolate, which I left where I found them.

When I got home, Butter and I sat out on the porch together in the sun, even though it was really freaking cold, and then we went in and put clean sheets on the bed.  Here is where we sleep; guess which pillow Butterball sleeps on.  

The quilt is one mom made for me some time ago.  She made one for every one of her family members.  Mine is predominantly pink, and that always kind of grated on me, because she knows that pink is one of my least favorite colors.  But she must have known that I could never give it away.  She was so talented when it came to sewing and creating things.  I remember her making us mother/daughter outfits when I was little. She used to knit and crochet too.  None of those talents were passed to me.  But I still have the quilt.

So, anyway, the reason I'm feeling a little like an idiot is that I am pretty content.  I love taking care of my mom, even though some days I think I will pull out my hair.  I have such a sense of satisfaction when she looks good and laughs and has a great day and I've managed to do some things that will make her life easier.  If this makes me some sort of simpleton, then so be it. 

I will leave you with a picture of Butterball, who has a penchant for wanting to play in the empty clothes basket.  I like making her happy too.   I'm holding all of you , especially my good friend Todd, in the light, as my Quaker girlfriend says.  And Butter says, "Hi."

2 comments:

  1. Kathy,
    Simpleton? I don't think so!
    Giddy is good - to have good days and appreciate them for what they are sure does help caregiving because it says you are doing the right things for your mom (and for you).
    And somehow, it's a confirmation to your mom that she is in good hands...that this disease your mom is experiencing doesn't always mean darkness, but bright spots too.

    Ok, I DO have a couple of questions though...you found CHOCOLATE and you didn't eat it? I AM impressed. And I think I know the answer to this next question but I'm gonna ask it anyway: I have at least 186 pairs of socks (100 of them without elastic). Does this mean that I have to get rid of some of them? :)
    And one more thing. The quilt - I love the colors - we can't agree on everything, right? Butter's pillow goes so well with it. :)
    Hugs and prayers to my giddy friend that you have many, many more of these days.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get such enjoyment reading your blogs Kathy. It's good to see the range of emotions in all of this, it's to be expected! About your quilt...sometimes mother's do things purposely to make us think! I know mine does. It's a very nice quilt, and I love Butter's pillow! Keep up the good work! Sandy

    ReplyDelete