Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Best present I ever got . . .

As I sit with my last cup of coffee this morning, I am reflecting with beaucoup gratitude to my brother and sister-in-law for the gift they gave me yesterday.  My phone rang around 10 a.m., as it usually does.  Tom was at mom's place and he said to me, "Kathy - guess what - YOU GET THE DAY OFF TODAY!"  He was going to spend the morning with mom, and his wife Julie, who is off work this week, would take the afternoon shift.  I was overcome!  Holy cats, an entire day all to myself with no care duties!  What would I do?  Where would I go?  It took a few minutes before common sense kicked in and I decided to take a dry run into downtown Erie to make sure I could find my new doctor's office before next month's first appointment.  And while I was in Erie, I could (wait for it) SHOP!!!  And shop I did.  Found the office, then got a little turned around trying to get out of the city, lots of one-way streets in there.  But then I found the Erie City Mission store, where I bought a beautiful sweater and a new belt.  Then to Gabriel Brothers (sort of like a TJ Max) where I bought brand new winter boots with heels!  Then to the big Salvation Army on Peach Street where I scored a Jamestown NY Harley shirt.  Finally on the way home, Julie called - she had managed to get mom into the shower and into clean clothes.  AND did a load of laundry.

This is the sort of thing that makes me so grateful for my family.  So many caregivers have to do all these things themselves, but I have help.  And God knows I need it.  Today will find me back at the mom's, and maybe I can get her to take a ride with me - she was complaining about her grey hair to Julie yesterday, so perhaps we'll go pick out a color she likes and give it a whirl this weekend. 

I also have to thank my friends who are still in touch via phone and email and who talk me through the dark days to better times.  I'm holding all of you (and you know who you are) way up in the light.

Here's a picture of Butterball, who took control of the blanket that my wonderful niece Michala made for me for Christmas.  As soon as I get some pics from relatives, I'll put them out here too.  Thanks again my friends.

 

2 comments:

  1. Kathy,

    How AWESOME for you! Not only did it give you time to SHOP and find out where the doctor's office is, but also your mom got the care she needed and YOU didn't have to ride in the barrel. It's so good that Tom and Julie see the need to help you...and usually the timing on something like that is perfect for everyone.
    I have family in Erie so it's a familiar place...well, except those one way streets. I don't know how many times Ron and I got lost trying to take shortcuts. Our niece and her family used to live on Peach St. and we'd always get lost trying to find it, especially if we took Rt. 20 from Buffalo instead of the 90.
    Butterball is quite the charmer - how cute she is. And of course she knows this which is why she assumed she could take over the blanket. Michala did a beautiful job on it, so it's no wonder Butter took a liking to it.
    One reminder, Kath, don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it - chances are, it helps your brother and sister in law too, to help your mom and to understand and better appreciate what you do every single day. And it helps your mom realize how much she is loved. THAT is a wonderful thing.
    Hugs my friend,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, it's great that you have family that will help out. Everyone deserves a day off once in a while. And I love the bargains that you found on your shopping jaunt! It's good to hear that you've made the adjustment so well to your new life. There are times when life throws us a major curve ball. Sometimes we can smack it into a home run, sometimes it's just a bunt. You've managed to do very well with it. Kudos to you, for all that you do. I hope you have a very happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete