Friday, December 17, 2010

Ups and Downs

Well, this one has been percolating for a week or so, and now it's time.  First, a recent down.  On Monday morning, Butterball and I tangled up on the way down the stairs at 7 a.m.  I landed hard on my right shoulder and was pretty hurt.  I thought I might have torn something (rotator cuff?) so I had brother Tom take me to Urgent Care.  They did ex-rays, script for nsaids, made me an appt. for the Orthopaedics in town for Wednesday morning.  Butter was unhurt in the accident.  (That's the up part of this.)  The other up is that the shoulder was badly contused, but no tears or breaks. 
Here's another up/down.  When I got here in August, mom and I were able to share our jeans.  We were a 9/10.  Jeans is all she will wear, so it was all good.  Unfortunately, mom has been eating really well since then.  We moved to size 12 for her (I've gotten really good at guessing her sizes at the goodwill/thrift stores) and we've been ok for the last couple of months.  However, lately, I've been having to push her down on the bed to get the 12's buttoned.  She always laughs when I do that, but it's not going to be easy to continue this unless we go to 14's.  Sometimes I joke with Tom that mom will be one of those people who has to be removed with a crane when she dies.  It's really not a laughing matter, but I think we are all trying to make her happy and food does that for her.  Chocolate especially.  Do we deny her that?  I don't know. 

OK, last UP/Down for now.  I often drive up the hill to the Salvation Army store in town, sometimes in search of something in particular, sometimes for fun, sometimes to entertain the mombat.  In any case, I've become friends with one of the women who works there.  Her name is Bonnie.  Bonnie has had some car trouble and has had to take the bus to work for the past month or so.  Problem is that the bus only goes as far as Wal-mart.  Then she has to have someone from the SA come to get her for the last 1/4 mile to work.  I ask after her situation every time, and every time, she says that her mechanic is still working on it.  It's been more than a month.  So today, after mom and I had lunch with one of her HS worker-friends, we went up to the SA.  I searched in vain for some jeans to fit mom, meantime, Bonnie came down my aisle and handed me a card.  She wished me a merry Christmas.  My quandry is this.  I could likely help Bonnie with some cash, but should I?  I have relatives who think it's a good thing to send money to some far away country, buy a cow or sheep or chicken flock for someone in Africa.  But hey, here is someone right in front of me who could use help.  I'm going to have to give this some thought. 

More to come.

2 comments:

  1. Kathy,
    You really need to watch those downs...as long as they turn out to be ups, though, this is helpful. I am glad to hear that your shoulder wasn't torn or broken, and that Tom was available to take you to Urgent Care. And that Butterball wasn't injured at all is a very good thing too.
    About Superman - hope this turns out to be a really nice thing for you and I would say something our friend Ginny from SFP always says- YOU GO GIRL!

    Not being Ann Landers or Dear Abby, I don't know what to tell you about Bonnie - maybe a gift card from a local grocery store or other merchant she could find useful would be a good idea. It's possible her transportation $$ are coming out of her food budget and with Christmas just around the corner, it might come in handy for that extra food everyone buys during the holidays. OR you could give her a gift card and then make up a handmade coupon good for a ride to and from the grocery store. ???? At Christmas, she might appreciate that.

    And the jeans issue...if you are wearing a size 9, this tells us you are health conscious in your cooking. Since coming to Laurie's, and since she is such a healthy eater, and wants Kasey to be the same, I've been fixing lots more veggies, fewer carbs, and still we are able to enjoy the baked goods or piece of chocolate every day. We buy the low fat ice cream and I use Splenda a lot in my baking. Hard to make the call on that, Kathy. Kind of hard to fix something if it's not really broken yet, but if it's a concern to you, then it's important. Maybe cook the same, only not as much?
    You are a smart lady and a very kind and generous one as well. But then, we all know that too.
    Hugs my friend,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your fall. I hope that you will heal without complications. I'm gald that Butter is ok too!

    Superman sounds delicious. Perhaps you should offer to cook a homemade meal for him? Most men can't resist that!

    I once read somewhere that charity begins at home...... go for it. If it's in your heart, make it happen.

    Merry Christmas Kathy

    ReplyDelete