Friday, June 18, 2010

"Last Times"

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about “last times.” For instance, because I will be moving from Buffalo to Meadville in August, I know that I’ve purchased toilet paper in Buffalo for the last time. Garbage bags too. Hmmm. But in some instances, you just don’t know when it might be the “last time.” The last time I made love with someone I cared about deeply, I didn’t know it was going to be the last time. I don’t know if the next time I pet my kitty or hug my mom, it might be the “last time.”


Life seems so tenuous, unpredictible, fragile sometimes. I’m starting to appreciate the little pleasures more now, be more grateful for the blessings I have – and I have so many! Good friends, great family, financial security, dependable car, food to eat, roof over my head, and some faith and hope that some of those “last times” are a ways off yet.

Here’s my plan: next time I pet my kitty I’ll pet her for an extra 5 minutes. And next time I hug my mom, I’m going to hold her a little more tightly and for a lot longer.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy,
    What a beautiful and heartfelt post - ok, why don't I just say that it made me cry. Not because of sadness, but because you "get it." You know that your mom might appreciate the hug more today than tomorrow - and you might feel her hug back if it's a good day for her (and for you it will be blessed day too) How I do understand what you mean about the "last times." But also, as you do, I know about the trust and the hope that those are in the future, not to be thought about just now.
    I so remember the hug you gave me when we saw each other 9 months ago. I didn't realize then that it might be the last one - but if it was, I will remember it for it's warmth, and for the genuine friendship that was in that hug.
    Last times - they give us much to remember and many times, much to be grateful for.
    Hugs my friend,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete