Friday, September 3, 2010

Baby steps


Though I can't be sure, I think this picture was taken out at my paternal grandfather's house out in Pageville.  Obviously mom was very young, still in her 20's I think.  She had 4 little kids by then, and obviously liked her sweets as much then as she still does today. 

I took another baby step this week by following the instructions in the Alzheimer's book and getting mom into the shower.  It was amazingly easy, so much easier than I imagined it was going to be!  Simple straightforward instructions had her following me into the bathroom and taking off one article of clothing at a time, and then into the shower she went.  We got her all lathered up, rinsed off, and out of the tub in a matter of 5 minutes.   I thought I was going to get a fight from her about the process, but as usual, I was projecting, not doing.  So now that we've done it once, I won't be so anxious about doing it again.

On another note, I have to say that I visited a lovely retirement village only about 5 minutes from us called Juniper Village.  I met some people who were in the same situation as I am, and they placed her mom there a year ago.  The woman, according to her family, was pretty unhappy at first, as you can imagine, but after a couple of months has begun to blossom under the care of the staff and the company of others.  I am absolutely certain that my mom would do the same if we were to place her into a good facility, but, just like the shower, it's the anticipation of the difficulties in the path that keeps me from moving forward with what I think would be best for mom.  I have to remember that we are all taking baby steps here.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you and your Mom, Kathy! Love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I have no doubts that you will know when mom is ready for a step that big. Baby steps is the way to go. Be patient, make friends and embrace the support. You will know when it's time. God Bless. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kath,
    Like Sandy said, you will know when your mom is ready. The shower probably was so soothing to her - we ladies do like our hair washed and to feel fresh - it's good to know that the water didn't frighten her so this will be something that will become routine for her. And for you.
    I hope you know that as the days and weeks and months pass, your support group will remain - and in fact it will grow as you meet new people who are walking in your shoes, or have been where you are now.
    Remember we are here for you - and posting is good. It's an outlet for you and some of us have walked on the path you are on now. Although Alzheimers is unique for each family, those of us who have lost loved ones to AD, truly do understand.
    Blessings and hugs, my friend.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete