Sunday, October 24, 2010

Friends and friends and MORE friends!

Those of you reading this likely remember my friend and former boss, Nina.  Nina did a wonderful thing this month - she invited me and two of her other friends, women I had never met, to visit her at her home on Cape Cod.  We all have many things in common, not the least of which is our love for Nina.  But to hear her tell it, we also are very strong-willed, independent, and intelligent women who have in one way or another faced great adversity in our lives and have overcome it or have come to terms with it.  We all four are the better for our trying times.  I made new friends yet again, thanks to Nina's generosity of spirit, friends for life, I think.  As a side note, we spent a lot of time at the beaches, attended a great Oyster festival, and ate like pigs every single night.  What a great time I had!!!

I've also been appreciating the friends who have left such uplifting comments on this blog for me to read and re-read, especially if I've had a trying day with the mom.  Those friends are also friends for life, even if only via cyberspace.  Sandy and Sue especially, thank you for your prayers and support.

So, the mombat was overjoyed to see me upon my return from the Cape.  It was the first break I've had from her since mid-August.  I thought about her every day, but was secure in the knowledge that brother Tom was doing a great job in my absence.  Mom is still losing ground daily, but remains adamant that she will never leave her home, and that if anyone tries to "put her in a home" she will "run away from home."  Straight from the horse's mouth, I guess.

I'll end this now but will be back soon, I have much more to say.  So here's a picture to make you laugh.  Aren't we a couple of pearls?


2 comments:

  1. Kathy, Your latest blog reminds me of a movie from some time ago, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. It was very similar to the story you just told here...beautiful, heartwarming, and fun, with everlasting memories. I am SO happy for you, that you accepted the invitation and were able to attend. What a wonderful bonus to have made new life-long friends on top of it. Your time away probably made your mom appreciate you a bit more. Your life seems to get more and more interesting with each passing week! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,
    So good to see you home - how wonderful that you had a good time at Nina's. I remember Nina as a very gracious person, and generous as well. And that she has given you new lifetime friends is wonderful. I have some of those lifetime friends too...people I worked with for many years - you know who you are. And my military mom friends as well who I met online and who will be my forever friends too.
    Glad your mom is doing ok - that your brother was able to step in and help so you could have some "you" time.
    With faith, family, and friends, we can indeed endure all things.
    With you in this journey, my friend, no matter the miles between us.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete