Thursday, October 14, 2010

Strange Partings

I know, I know, I keep promising more pictures.  Unfortunately, the only ones I've taken recently were from the Pumpkin Festival at Conneaut Lake Park.  That being said, I had a great Sunday there, spent an hour watching an artist carve an alligator from a log.  He was awesome.  I also met an amazing woman while out on the deck by the lake, she was traveling alone from Chicago, flew into Pittsburgh, rented a car, and was touring around just for shits and giggles.  I saw her sitting alone and asked her to join me for a beverage.  We had a lot in common, and I hope I'll hear from her once she is settled back into the Windy City.  There were about a million bikes there (Keystone Riders) too, and I enjoyed looking at all the pretty rides.  I sure do miss Hoss.

So, back to my title.  I haven't really been on-site here in Meadville for more than a day or so at a time in the last 16 years.  My job in Buffalo kept me at what I considered a good distance.  In the past, when I would do a "drive-by" and stay with mom overnight, I was always up and out early, headed back to my real life in Buffalo.  Now, I'm a daily part of her life, and she is a really important daily part of mine.  So, leaving her today was bittersweet, and we both shed some tears over my impending 4 day vacation to the Cape to spend time with girlfriends.  When I asked her what she wanted me to bring back for her, she said, "Just bring YOU back to me."  I'll miss her a lot lot lot.  Go figure.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy,
    I can remember a time - not so long ago - when your mom would be upset at your visits...and you were discouraged. How great is God that He turns things around? Not that your mom's disease can be reversed, but rather how good it is that she is so glad to have you near.
    It's good that you are spending time away with friends...make sure that you do bring YOU safely home to your mom (and to all of us, as well).
    Hugs my friend,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete